Saturday, October 15, 2011

Interesting statistics

Being the math nerd that I am, I enjoy reading statistics. This month, Parents magazine had an interesting article about the changing households in America. It was interesting and thought provoking enough to me that I thought I'd share.

Just in case you need clarification on what these really mean (I did):
Millennials are basically the kids (now adults) born in the 1980s and 90s.
GenXers are those born in the 1960s and 70s.

~Millennials (53%) and GenXers (57%) are less likely than older generations (75% of those over 65) to say a child needs a home with both parents.

~44% of Millenials says marriage is obsolete, 37% of those over age 30 think the same

~21% of households are married couples with children compared to 43% in 1950.

~23% of homes with a stay-at-home mom (for married couples with children under 15)

~10% of children under age 18 live in a home with a grandparent. Of those, 22% don't have a parent in that same household.

~More than half of moms say their kids have a better lifestlye than they themselves did growing up

What does all this say about our society? What does this mean for the future of our families? Is giving our kids a "better" lifestyle than we had growing up worth the destruction of the basic family structure? What values and ethics are being taught? Is a committment valuable anymore?

I know what I think. Tell me what you think about it.

No comments :