Thursday, March 11, 2010

A wonderful weekend away

Kevin and I had the WONDERFUL opportunity to get away for a weekend. Every couple months, we manage to get a date night (just a few hours) when my parents come to visit. That's really not enough. My parents offered to keep the kids last month, so we could have a weekend together, 2 whole nights and days, just us. Okay!!!
For our first trip away in 3 years, we planned a simple weekend in Galveston. Despite having lived near Galveston most of my life, I didn't really learn to appreciate it until I moved away and missed it. It's a great tourist town, even in winter. We went to Moody Gardens for a great exhibit about immigration through Galveston. My great-great grandparents on my dad's side immigrated through Galveston in the early 1900s, so I was very interested in this. We ate where we wanted, with no worries about kid food choices. We ate our food warm because we didn't have to cut anyone else's food. It's the little joys in life, you know? On the Strand, we walked around, checked out shops and enjoyed the most delicious treats (see picture) at the old fashioned soda shop and confectionary La King's. It really is a must-go if you go to Galveston! It was so nice being together, finising a conversation without being interrupted. We took naps, watched non-Disney tv, played cards, went to a movie, and just really enjoyed ourselves. We're going to make it a point to get away more often than every 3 years.
Thank you, Yaya and Popi, for playing with the kids and offering us the chance to recharge our batteries!

2 comments :

yaya said...

Thank you for allowing us to enjoy the kids for the weekend. The joy was ours. I am so glad you and Kevin had a chance to spend some alone time. It is so important. Naps and no Disney channels. Special.
We are ready again. Just let us know.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hey Laura! That is so sweet of the parents to let you guys get away. My husband and I have went out ONCE in the past 9 years, so I feel your pain. Glad you got to soak up some alone time. Let me know when you are ready for your little man's painting. I won't forget about him. Until then my paint brushes are on hiatus for a while. I'll be taking my final exam next week. That cannot get here soon enough for me!

Have a great week,
~Misti