Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's cold out there!


We got a COLD front this week. Temps have been below freezing since sometime Tuesday night, with wind chills often below 0. For us, that's stinkin cold. Because of the icy roads, school was cancelled, and we haven't left the house since Monday afternoon. That's a long time to keep kids entertained. Most of the time, they've played nicely together. Today, we're dealing with rolling power outages (only one so far, but I'm sure another will be coming shortly based on other friends' stories).

We have painted with some fun new paint brushes.
We have baked cookies.
We have done puzzles, played Wii, built blocks, taken naps, watched movies....
We have been busy learning, too.
Beth is working on expanding her story writing, and she's loving it. She has also been busy with crafts. A little double digit subtraction and a little reading comprehension, too.
Jacob is learning the letter W this week. I planned it weeks ago, not knowing what weather we'd have this week. But, the "winter W" worked nicely. I also try to teach him a Bible verse every couple weeks. This week, Psalm 51:7 "Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." Again, I promise I planned it weeks ago. To illustrate the verse, I drew a snowman, then we colored it "dirty" as we talked about sin and disobeying make our heart dirty. Then, we erased the dirty, talking about how only God can make our hearts clean, white as snow. He really liked the activity and memorized the verse pretty quickly.
Tomorrow, we're supposed to get snow. I'm betting school will be cancelled again. I wonder what we'll do tomorrow!

2 comments :

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great week! Tell Jacob to draw a snowman for me.

yaya said...

You are a great teacher! A fun mom! It looks as though the kiddos were enjoying the new paint brushes.