Monday, July 13, 2009

As American as Apple Spice Cake


For July 4th, we made a trip to visit Kevin's folks. A good time was had by all-
Beth fell in love with her cousin's new puppy, Jacob was charming as usual, the girls made and sold sno cones, there was more than enough food, and lots of fun visiting (us, Kevin's parents, Kevin's sister and fam, both Kevin's aunts and their hubbies, plus Kevin's cousin and her friend- 16 people, 4 dogs). There's nothing better than spending a holiday enjoying time with great family! Why did I call this post "As American as Apple Spice cake"? Well, we're not fans of Apple pie. However, I made my famous apple spice cake, by request of my FIL, for the event. I just forgot to take a picture of it before it was devoured. Trust me, it's yummy!

I want to take a moment to give thanks. Thank you to military, past and present, who protect the freedom this country is all about. Thank you for the Founding Fathers for having the vision to establish the freedoms this country loves and people in other countries long for. Recently our President said "We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation." Many years ago, Woodrow Wilson said, "A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know what it is today nor what it is trying to do. We are trying to do a futile thing if we do not know where we came from or what we have been about." In 1892, our Supreme Court stated, "No purpose of action against religion can we imputed to any legislation, state or national, because this is a religious people...This is a Christian nation." It seems to me President Obama needs to study up on the history of our country! I'm so grateful that our Founding Fathers came to the shores of this land with a Bible in their hands!



3 comments :

yaya said...

Family is fun and special.
Apple spice cake is the best.
Our founding fathers founded what America is about. God blesses America.
May America bless God.

Unknown said...

Good stuff about our founding fathers. My favorite cake!!!! Maybe I can drop a hint to have one for b-day....

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Can you mail me some cake? :)