Thursday, September 17, 2009

Labor Free Weekend (part 1)

I know, I know, I haven't blogged in more than 2 weeks. Sorry, it's been a little busy. Between vacation, catching up from vacation, JBF and real life, I can't keep up. I'll get there. For now, I hope you enjoy this!
------------------------------------------------------
For Labor Day weekend, we managed to do as little work as possible and as much relaxing as we could. That's the way to go! About a month ago, Kevin decided we should rent a house for the weekend in Galveston, invite my parents to join us and enjoy the beach. Sounded great to me! Of course, from the first mention, my parents wanted in on that. I grew up around the beach (my dad was/is a surfer) and have great memories of beach house weeks during the summers. I couldn't wait for my kiddos to experience it! Kevin hadn't been on the visits "home" with the kids and I, so I was excited for him to see how much the kids love the beach.

When we first made the plans, it seemed so far off. Then, suddenly, the week was here. Jacob knew "Friday, Popi, Yaya, beach". We picked up Beth early from school and got on the road (for a very long, 6 hour drive). Not long after we got checked into the house, Popi and Yaya arrived. Hooray!!!!! Let the fun begin! We got unpacked, Beth used every drawer in the dresser for her small amount of stuff. Mom brought a pre-made Kings Ranch for dinner- YUM!. Then, of course, off to the beach, soaking in the hour we could before sunset. It took a little bit, but not long, before both kids were no longer intimidated by the ocean. Good stuff!
Saturday morning, the kids and I were up early (Popi too). And by early, I mean before sunrise. Geez! That's okay, I could understand the excitement. Sunday was an "up with sun" kinda day too.
Saturday was party day. Jacob is almost 2, so we hosted a small party for him while at the beach. We invited Kevin's parents and sister's family, a couple of Kevin's go-way-back buds and their families, then of course my parents. After the party, we spent the afternoon at the beach. Don't worry, party and birthday details will get their very own post. THIS post is about the beach. It was lots of fun to have Kevin's buds stay too. It's been a long time since we've hung out.


There is always so much fun to be had at the beach. I know, Galveston isn't the prettiest beach, but it was still plenty of fun. There weren't a lot of waves, but the kids had a blast boogie-boarding and surfing. Even Kevin gave the surfboard a try.

Lots of playing in the sand! Jacob didn't like having his hands and feet covered in sand, though. Not that he could totally wash it off, though, so some of his snacks had a bit more grit to them.


Lots of swimming! Beth was quite the water bug. She even turned into a mermaid named Elizabeth, who could put her head under the water and swim with her legs together like a mermaid tail. Jacob was content at the water's edge, looking for shells, "swimming" and trying not to get splashed in the face (when the adult currently in charge isn't paying attention- hehehe)

Hooray for Popi and Yaya being there with us! We loved that they experienced all the fun with us. We really appreciated that Kevin and I could escape, just the two of us, whether it be a trip to Walmart or a walk down the beach or hanging out on the beach while the kids/grandparents napped at the house. Oh, and thanks to shutterbug Yaya for taking lots of great pictures.

And, of course, there's a whole lot of nothing. Ah, that's the good stuff!
So much more fun captured on my camera, plus the party, will require a couple more posts, so as not to overrun this one. Those, plus lots more, coming soon. Really.

No comments :