Friday, October 10, 2008

Talks about God

Beth and I have been having some great chats about God lately. His omnipresence (that He's everywhere), His omniscence (that He knows everything) and His abounding love.



I love the amazement in her voice as she tries to understand that He is everywhere she looks, that He created everything. She'll ask about things He's made or not- people, clothes, witches (she's been watching a Halloween show), houses, trees.... She's learning that God created people, and sometimes people make things.



Even more awesome to her is that God knows everything and sees everything. She just can't understand how He knows everything she's doing and how many hairs are on her head. And, she likes to make sure that God does the same for everyone else. We mostly explain it as He loves us so much that he wants to know everything about us. Now, I tell her I love her, but I don't know the number of hairs on her head, so God is pretty smart.



When Beth prays, it may be a little goofy, but is the most sincere prayer I've ever heard. Oh, if grown-ups prayed like that, with all abandon of fancy words or what we should say... Ok, so last night was a great one "Dear God, thank you for our food. And thank you for my brother Jacob, I love him. Thank you for my daddy, I love him. Thank you for my mommy, I love her. Thank you for me, I love me. Thank you for my food. Amen" Priceless!

1 comment :

Pam said...

Isn't it amazing what the kids think and say about God? I really wish I could capture some of that child-like quality when it comes to my own spirituality. It all seems so simple when talking to the kidlets. They have such a profound understanding.