Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

It's my favorite holiday! It truly is the most wonderful time of year. I love everything about it.
The time with family- Beth made an invitation asking my parents to come to our house for Christmas. It was so precious. Of course, they accepted! This will be the third Christmas morning they've been at our house (since we moved "up north"), and I'm so glad they come.
The sights- There is nothing more beautiful that a fire in the fireplace, a lit Christmas tree, all the lamps turned off, snuggling on the couch (even if it's just me and a blanket snuggling). The decorations are everywhere. I wish my bank account had no limitations, because I would decorate my house from top to bottom, inside and out. Beth has already given me permission to change her bathroom from ducks to Christmas, and she's quite excited about it. I love Christmas movies too. I prefer the old classics (Miracle on 34th, White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life), but I do like some of the newer ones too (Santa Clause- all of them).
The sounds- There's something about Christmas music that just makes me feel good inside. Every year, I buy a new cd. I really love that we have a music channel on tv that plays Christmas music 24/7. My favorite song is O Holy Night. With the right singer, it gives me chill bumps. Beth has been listening to Christmas music for a couple months already. That's my girl!
The smells- Being outside and smelling that neighbors have fires in their fireplaces. Baking cookies that I shouldn't eat. A real Christmas tree. Hot apple cider. The cold in the air (when it happens here in Texas). Even the "old" smell from all the decorations in storage- it evokes great memories.
The shopping- Yes, I love the shopping. I love the thrill of the hunt of the perfect present. I love finding a special ornament for a friend. I love the Black Friday adventure. I willingly get up at the crack o'dawn for it. I look forward to seeing my family's reaction to the gift I've found that I just know they'll love. We buy way too much for the kids, but I always think of something else I'd love to give them. We usually start shopping in July, but this year it wasn't until October. Oh well.
The reason for the season- Above all, I try to keep a balance of remembering and talking about the reason we celebrate Christmas. I think it's so easy to push it aside in all the planning and shopping and going places. It's a shame it takes effort sometimes to bring it to our attention. Many, many years ago, baby Jesus was born, in a humble stable. His Father in Heaven had so many plans for the little one. How thankful I am of that. Jesus came to this earth to die for our sins. I don't deserve it, but I embrace it. I try to teach my children of His amazing love and sacrifice. Please don't forget to celebrate Jesus' birthday in all the busy-ness of the season.

2 comments :

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

I think I should buy the Disney Christmas CD for Beth.

yaya said...

it warms my heart to know that you keep Jesus at the center of Christmas. It also warms my heart that you are thrilled with Christmas and all that goes with it. I wish I was there to share movies and sounds and smells with you all over again. Beth is so blessed to have a mom that is full of love for Jesus and all that He is about....love.
i love you